Friday, 14 October 2011

beginner's luck.

When you 'study' Advertising in school, you have these grandiose dreams of doing work for products you actually like. You know--Nikes, Levis, iPods. Cool things you'd actually buy. Nine out of ten ad students enter the real world to find themselves working from 10 AM til whenever the client is happy creating web banners for global business-to-business tech companies. ("Well, I really think we should look at the Call To Action again. Is "Explore" a bit stronger than "Learn More?"") You fake it til you make it and eventually convince yourself that it's not unethical to sell something you hate because someone, somewhere has to like this stuff. Right?

Anyway. I feel incredibly lucky to have worked on this project for Bare Escentuals. If you haven't used their products, you must! I started using it when an esthetician made me feel my bumpy cheeks and promise to never buy Target makeup again. I've been a believer for a few years now and can honestly say it's changed my skin. This campaign was going into production right when I got here. It's full of warm fuzzies, and it works something like this...


(if you pause it at 1:30 you will see my famous face doing that terrible thing i do where i cover my mouth with my hand)

Our team was made up entirely of chicks. Recipe for success right? Call me a feminist, but sometimes it takes cool chicks to spot other cool chicks. It was amazing how strongly these women's personalities came through that wall (especially the sword collector, who was slightly bonkers). One of the greatest unforeseen outcomes was the response from the models. Every one of them mentioned how flattering it was to have a casting director care about WHO they were instead of just WHAT they looked like. I mean, models are people too, right?

The five women we ended up with made our jaws drop. After meeting and interviewing them, there came a point where we were all like, wait...do I suck? By the end of the shoot though, the models seemed to have developed mutual girl crushes on the ladies on my team. (Like I said, warm fuzzy fest). From discussing Buddhism vs. Mormonism with Keri to Darlene making me teach her how to use a Mac, I can personally vouch for the realness and more importantly, the goodness of our five Forces of Beauty.

Here's to being able to promote something I really believe in. And here's to a team of amazing ladies who dedicated bijillions of hours to bringing more real beauty into the world.

Check out the rest of the campaign here. And go buy some B.E. :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

this is awesome, rebbie! thanks for sharing your experience.

Cason and Marie said...

That is amazing!! And those ladies are gorgeous. Loved this!

tayloranne said...

So ridiculously cool. Absolutely love this.