Thursday, 28 July 2011

funny and female. feasible?

Today at work two guys showed me a project they're working on (a project which must remain non-disclosed, thank you lawyers) for a car company (which I won't name) and it made me giggle quite a bit. It wasn't a typically comedic brand but the stuff was HILARIOUS.

I got really nostalgic for the days when I could do way funny things like this and call it school. This longing led me to wondering whether it's actually feasible to be female and funny, or whether it's like the WNBA and even women would just plain rather watch boys do it.

It seems this (skill?) would be women's crowning achievement at true equality, and we've made lots of headway lately, thanks to people like Liz Lemon.


But even I, feminist that I am, cannot say we're quite there yet. Case in point--Harvard Sailing team's "boys will be girls" has 3.2 million views, while it's lesser half "girls will be boys" has 1 million. If you haven't watched them, use the links to do so. My money says you'll cringe and give up about halfway through the second one. I did.

I get a little depressed when I realize that all guys really want is for girls to be less funny than them. Because let's face it--the only thing worse than someone being funny on purpose is a girl being funny on purpose. Sigh.

I think it would make some dead suffragettes really happy if we could add the funny merit badge to our sash. Until then, I'll keep laughing at my co-worker's jokes and dream for the day when the glass ceiling will shatter all over his face.
(that was more violent than intended but you know what i mean)

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hahaha, I hadn't ever seen these videos. The second one especially was SO painful! Hilarious.

mandi winterton said...

"like" this post. a lot.