Thursday, 16 June 2011

i'm selling my coats.

Welp, I got a job. At TBWA/Chiat/Day in Los Angeles where it's 70 degrees and sunny year round. What in this whole wide world???

While I feel the term 'dream job' is somewhat of an oxymoron, it may be semi-applicable. I was looking over my journal from last year and it's kind of crazy how many times the phrase, "I think I'll apply at Chiat, not that I have a chance but I might as well right?" comes up. I start July 5th. EEEEK.

For those who have no idea what that means or how to pronounce it, here's some stuff they've done.

This spot 'introduced Apple computers to the world' at the 1984 Superbowl.


This was done buy a BYU Alum who is stellar and has been such a help over the last few months and I owe him one of my children, even if I end up adopting them at 40 and single.


This was done last year and is cool because I will most likely be working on Pepsi...


And here's a snapshot of the agency. You can skip through the first part but it's pretty great.


This is obviously just a snippet of their work but I think they're cool. Sometimes when I tell people where i'm working they think I'm swearing or saying a naughty word of sorts. It's pronounced shyyy--uttt--day, so there you are.

As the last few weeks have feen spent between the King Henry pool, Seven Peaks and Utah Lake, I'm more than expecting a swift kick in the face from adulthood when I start working full time, especially since in this industry and at this agency full time is more like infinite-over-time. It's really strange to think I'm leaving Zion!! Leaving my home, my friends and everything that I know and is comfortable. Sigh. I'm full of a billion emotions but mostly just overwhelmed.

As for moving to LA, i'm feeling pretty good. Tanner is convinced I will be a Lakers fan by next season, and while nothing would be nicer for a Jazz fan than jumping on that bandwagon, I don't think he understands the hatred we are raised to feel. I'll most likely be living in Santa Monica so if anyone's been there, could you let me know what it's like? I'm going down this weekend for the first time ever, so let's hope I find a place to live.

I may or may not have read a book by Liz Gilbert and may or may not be treating her words as scripture right now:

"I've come to believe that there exists in the universe something I call "The Physics of the Quest"- a force of nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity or momentum. And the rule of the Quest of Physics maybe goes like this: "If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting and set out on a truth-seeking journey, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared-most of all-to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then truth will not be withheld from you."

Here's to a new adventure, Lizzy Gilbert. Here's to eating and praying and loving (?) every bit as much as you did. Before this gets too epic, I'll end by saying...
I have a feeling the next little bit of my life is going to be insane.
I feel so incredibly lucky to be doing what i'm doing.
I am so terribly sorry for whoever has had to deal with me lately, heavens knows I've been completely self-absorbed.
I will miss P-town like crazy....slash I hope I never want to come back :)

18 comments:

Courtney said...

UMMM REBS! That's awesome!!! Are you so excited?! Congratulations!

Amy Ellertson said...

Rebbie! You are going to live right by us! I'm so excited for you let me know if u need help or have questions

holli h. said...

What??? You're LEAVING?!?! NO!! I sense a london get-together before July. . .

Cason and Marie said...

What the!! You are all grown up! Congrats Rebb! I couldn't be happier and more excited for you!!

As far as LA...traffic traffic traffic! You'll have fun though! It's a great city. Hot boys, perfect weather, great fashion..what more could you ask for right?!

Cason and Marie said...

Ps you'll never want to leave calif! Once you live there it's hard to leave.

H. Baum said...

congrats rebbie! That will be so awesome-- my sis holly lived on the border of LA/Santa Monica, and still has a lot of contacts there. if you want advice on neighborhoods that are decent, etc., I can put you in touch with some people. Good luck with everything! Hooray for getting out of P-town!

adam and jess said...

so happy for you rebb! we'll be in newport end of august/beginning of september as well as next week so if you need a buddy just give me a call!

paige crosland anderson said...

this is awesome! what a great opportunity. i've gotta say, i'm a little (lota) bit jealous...

Muncher Cruncher said...

I FOUND YOU!! yessss. I couldn't be more excited for you girl! except for the fact that I HATE that you're leaving us. You will do amazing thing I have NO doubt. I can't wait to hear all about it. I love you to pieces. You are an amazing, amazing, AMAZING person. VT companions for life...
xoxoxo megs

Brandon and Katie said...

I'm sad but so excited at the same time. Sending giddy feelings your way girl! Love you. Come swim at zermatt with me this weekend?

Randi said...

I love everything about this. Congratulations! And way to turn to Liz Gilbert at a time like this. :) You're awesome, Rebbie.

Mrs. Ham said...

haha people think it sounds like a swear word!! i txted Tan one day to ask him if he had applied at shyit day... haha never knew it was spelled with a C until he txted me back- felt like a dork! you're gonna kill it girl! and YES we can hang out in LA!!!!

JordanGuy said...

Just got done talking to some Coke executives. They're way nervous...

Brooke said...

GAHHH!!! Rebbie!!! I'm so excited for you, congrats chica! I will be the first to confirm that adulthood will in fact occasionally kick you in your face, and you will definitely have days where you miss those mountains a ton...but I know you'll love chiat and it will make it all worth it! Congrats again!

Musing Elitist said...

you are brilliant. i might even start drinking pepsi.

Shelb and Ry said...

REBBIE! Congrats..!!!! Chiat is literally my dream job as well... Seriously, I'm so thrilled for you! Also very jealous... good luck with everything! xox

--Shelby

Whitney said...

This is so fantastic, Rebbie! I'm so happy for you and I'm excited to see what you accomplish with such an awesome agency. You're so talented and I know you'll do great. (:

Lindsey S. said...

So our Mom's seem to be hanging out a bit these days, working out, parade of homes, and who knows what else, but my Mom just told me this yesterday and how amazing of a job it is. I am seriously so excited for you. What a fun adventure that will be. And California, I can only dream to live in a place with that kind of weather. Good luck with everything. I think we should do a dance reunion before you go, or if you come visit sometime soon!