Tuesday, 26 April 2011

diaries of a post grad: day 1

Welp. Day one as a post-grad was slightly rough.

I spent three hours at the gym. I closed the blinds at 11 am and put on Dirty Dancing. (for the first time ever! hellllloooo patrick swayze) I sat at home for hours waiting for a recruiter to not call me back. I somehow found myself at the mall, smelling perfumes I have no power to buy. I ate a sandwich at Gandolfo's and fries at Five Guys and probably 8,000 Cadbury eggs. At 10 PM I was home face down on the couch.

Ahhhh!!!!

I know what you're thinking--enjoy this time while you have nothing to do and no one to answer to. Trust me I've been telling myself the same thing. But as someone who's self-esteem level is somewhat frustratingly linked to her productivity level, it's easier said than done.

It's so frustrating to feel totally capable and ready to have a job yet not knowing how to get one. I feel totally overwhelmed. I feel myself closing slowly into fetal position. I cannot let myself go there. I've been thinking about what the best part of yesterday was and the answer is glaringly obvious: PATRICK SWAYZE.

I've decided to dedicate my life (outside the job hunting and gym going) to doing everything I've wanted to do but not had time for during college. Basically I'm sick of winning the game "never have I ever." It's quite shocking really, how much I haven't done. Considering I've lived in London and New York, isn't it terrible I have yet to eat a Big Mac?? I've seen Jersey Boys and Twelfth Night yet have never watched Billy Madison.

If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that lack of new experience and lack of confidence kill creativity faster than anything else. So I will do my best to stuff my self full of newness and tell myself i'm awesome as much as I can.

What would you do if you had no life? Movies I should watch? Books I should read? Road trips I should take? Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated. In the meantime, I may try Pilates this afternoon. Why not?

8 comments:

Alison said...

1. http://www.hulu.com/search?query=my+so-called+life&st=1&fs=
2. do not read health food blogs
3. play with meeeeeeee!

Michelle and Aaron Darais said...

uhhhhh hello come to phoenix! It warm sunny and I'm here:) We can go dancing, swimming, shopping, watch the notebook, center stage, laugh, etc. sounds perfect!

Jenny said...

I also recently discovered Dirty Dancing, can't believe I've been missing out for so long.

Laura C said...

The Poisonwood Bible.

And road trip to LA and eat fried chicken and waffles at Roscoe's.

Or just come by the lab and hang out :)

Britt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Britt Linde said...

i was there one year ago. wait, no i still am.

i hear road trips to az are pretty cool...im just sayin...

read the girl with the dragon tattoo. and all the books following it.

A Lineman's Wife said...

I have no suggestions, as I have no life either...I do however, automatically love you for your ability to eat more than 2 of those eggs without puking! I thought I was the only one that ate them in bulk! Thank you for making me feel less heifer-ish.

moesmiles said...

So how is it that you never saw Dirty Dancing until now! We introduced CJ's wife to that too, but we grew up on that one & I was reminiscing with family just the other day about classic movies and that one came up, along with Cutting Edge, The Burbs, Adventures in Babysitting, Clue (just to name a few). Hang in there with the job hunt.