Tuesday, 10 August 2010

splurged.

Welp, i splurged. And what a lovely week it was.

Just had to report on a few things I did in case anyone is in nyc and needs something to splurge on.

First, if you or any part of you enjoys jazz, you MUST go see some at VILLAGE VANGUARD in the West village.

I'm not sure what it is about jazz...I really don't know the first thing about it, but it kind of makes me purr. I was always being accused of being a closet jazz pianist by my fellow Flying Nancys. I think maybe I like it because when I listen to it, I imagine myself looking like this.

Anyway, the place is legit, bunch of old dudes, one of whom wore this red silk shirt and closed his eyes every time he touched his sax. Only $20 bucks if you're a student. GO!

Second thing was seeing MEMPHIS. I stood in line to get student tickets three days in a row and finally got em. My dear friend Charlotte and I went and were on the absolute first row of the theater, aka underneath the orchestra pit.

(she doesn't usually look drunk. haha)

We were thoroughly damp with their sweat and spit by the end, but it was so worth it. To give you an idea of how awkwardly close I was, here is a pic I snuck at the end. We stood up to applaud and my nose was in this guy's knee caps. Weird.


My (favorite) calorie splurge came in the form of ALICE'S TEACUP for brunch. The place is amazing, they do birthday parties for little girls with dressups and everything. You must eat the pumpkin scones. Don't ask me why I didn't take a picture, but I went with three lovely ladies who I adore.


My roomies had a little fiesta on our rooftop on the last night I was in town and it was so great. Ellie even wore her denim jumpsuit for me, courtesy of the Brooklyn Flea--another thing you must splurge on if you are in the area.


Sad to think I won't see these people for a while. Chad is going to miss me so much. Can't you see it on his face?

Lest you think my life is all fun and food, delta made my flight out an absolute nightmare. They charged me $115 DOLLARS to check my overweight bag, which might I add was overweight when I left and Jet Blue didn't say a word. Our 7 pm flight was delayed until 12:20 am...then 1:40 am...then 2:30 am. Blah!!!! I don't think I have ever been so helplessly furious.

So now I'm home, and it is strange. Silent. Can't decide if it's peaceful or isolated. It has been so lovely to see people and I have been strangely really busy. And sick. And exhausted. Today it's off to Bear Lake with the whole fam and the babies!!! I really can't complain but I think I'd like to just sit in my bed for a day. And I'm sorry for this boring post but I felt like nyc deserved one last shout out.

As for the Etta James...she has been the soundtrack of my summer. I'd give anything for those pipes!

2 comments:

Ch_d R_gers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ch_d R_gers said...

I do miss you.