Sunday, 7 March 2010

sisterfriend

so sometimes when you date people there are expectations you will get to know their family. this can be an awkward situation for all involved, but i find it particularly disconcerting for one reason.

i do my best to find out as much as possible before the actual meeting takes place, but this phrase is especially comforting:
"it's weird but i look nothing like the rest of my siblings!!"

because who hasn't finally met the guy's mom, dad, aunts and uncles, all great people and then you meet his sister. who looks EXACTLY LIKE HIM! gahhhh. suddenly everything you thought you were attracted to makes you question your sexual orientation. not a fan.

it's not that i don't love meeting new girl friends. i just don't enjoy the confusion that comes when i'm looking into my lover's eyes and there she is. talk about an invasion of privacy.

i might be able to make an exception if it were him and her

but him and her...

wait i forget nikki is a woman. i'm still not convinced...?

anyway, i guess i should get over this little issue i have. especially after tonight's lecture from my father about how my expectations are too high. but is it that complicated? all i'm asking is for that one little sentence. i won't even ask for him to have a normal last name...

8 comments:

mandi winterton said...

there are very few exceptions to this rule. interestingly enough you found the very best one. jake gyllenhall. i love you.

Holli said...

rebbie, I'm dying over your banner-pic! that teddy bear head just cracks me up!

Lauren said...

ha. you're funny reb.

Brooke said...

oh this is the best. slash worst. I TOTALLY know what you're talking about. errrr.

David said...

You also need to marry the best-looking sibling. Your wife can't have a sister you think is hotter than your wife.

bob said...

you are so freaking funny. officially a fan of you.

p.s. i'm john's, um, friend. he told me about you. i'm totally normal. don't worry.

Jason Akinaka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Akinaka said...

Bob says he's normal, but his picture definitely communicates, "MySpace chick."

Rebbie, I love your writing, and I just wanted to thank you for the music on the blog, especially the chill stuff; it's perfect for relaxing and pondering (meditating still is a hippy/bald man in robes thing for me- I'm not there yet).

P.S. ^Longest sentence I have written in probably 10 years.