Wednesday, 10 June 2009

launch pad


so back in high school when i used to date people, i inadvertently earned myself the nickname 'launch pad.' apparently brother in law jeff thought it comical to mock the number of missionaries i was helping prepare to enter the field.
not that it was THAT many, but hey even sending off one is a worse fate than i would wish on anyone.
so now i'm all grown up and think i'm over that phase when after years of contemplation, sister michelle decides to go. WHAT???? trust me i did my best to talk her out of it but she's too good of a person. my favorite was when she said, "sometimes i think about a mission and i'm like wait....i don't have to do this to myself. WHAT AM I DOING?"
but, despite all my satanic efforts, on wednesday we took her to the mtc. swine flu made us drop her off at the curb. it was weird. i don't think i can live without her :( if you haven't guessed yet, this post is an ode to jaclyn michelle groesbeck.
if you don't know michelle, she and i are essentially the same person. except she's nice all the time and i'm nice some of the time. oh, and we have 100% opposite body shapes. sometimes i find it amazing we came out of the same mother. she complains about her flat....stomach and i complain about my huge....love handles.
we have two favorite movies: Ever After and Big Business. i have no idea how these came to be the two, but we literally can quote them from start to finish.
if you haven't seen the latter, it's a great 80's classic about two pairs of identical twins and one from each pair gets switched at birth.


the bette middler twin is chubby, business-minded and bratty while the lily tomlin twin is skinny, eats whatever she wants and is nice to a fault. hmmmm i wonder why we relate to this movie so well?

in every picture of michelle growing up she has this inexplicable halo of redness around her mouth...almost as if she was constantly downing red popsicles. that's the only logical explanation we can come up with at least.


michelle is the most caring person i know, as evidenced in one way by her profession as a nurse. she's had some jobs that involved tasks i just don't think you could pay me to do. (**key words, old people, depends)
she is also one of the most adventurous people i know. she once spent four months in china teaching english to children and later went to argentina to work as a nurse in a mother's hospital. so basically there's nothing those 19 year old boys can throw at her that she can't handle. it may be slightly awkward for them to tell their 24 year old cute mission nurse about all their symptoms, but hey...
michelle also has extremely long legs. as shown in this amazingly awkward image. anyone else agree that ages 9-13 hold nothing but painful memories of braces and sports bras?

yep, there it is again. i saw this picture and laughed for ten minutes, then debated for another ten whether i wanted the world to know how attractive i was as a pre-teen. i decided it was too incredible not to be shared.
over the past few years shelly and i have been the only singles in the family, which means we've become quite the little couple of our own. i hear what she says when no one else does and she knows what i'm thinking before i say it. sometimes we'll be driving and realize we just stopped talking...for like twenty minutes, dead silence. ahhh the beauty.

shelly and i have always had the same hobbies but somehow i've never felt compared to her. we had one blessed year together on dance company, in which we choreographed an egyptian themed dance to janet jackson. yeah, i don't know what we were thinking either.

since we have been attached at the hip our whole lives, it is slightly strange and terrible to know that although she is now living five minutes away from me there is no seeing her. i'm coming up with awful ideas like, 'maybe she'll get some crazy disease there and have to come home!' who am i, LUCIFER HIMSELF? seriously, sometimes i wonder.
anyone know of some puking pastilles i can get my hands on? those would do the trick.

well over the next 18 months i will be giving updates on her blog so visit it! the url is jmgroesbeck.blogspot.com.
it's been a weird few days without her...i don't think it's quite hit me yet. i'm just grateful i have wonderful friends to keep my mind occupied :)
we got one short letter yesterday that said she was doing great and loving the spirit at the mtc. her companion is a 21 year old girl from idaho. i will update as soon as we get more but until then, pray for her!
(oh, and enjoy our favorite celine dion song while you're at it)

8 comments:

Chelsey said...

Listen Launch Pad, I think I just shed a tear. I want Michelle to be my sister. Beautiful ode, apparently we need to talk Big Business sometime.

The Smiths said...

Aww, I loved the tribute. And I too loved big business. Why did michelle and I never make that connection??

Billy Reano said...

I love how you have so many old school pics in your blog posts! Props!

Anywho, family going into the MTC is hard. Good luck with it though, and make sure to write her, she'll really appreciate it. It goes along way in the field, for sure.

Anna Jay said...

I love you in braces! And don't worry, I am worse. Every time I drive by the MTC, weather permitting, I roll my windows down and blast some worldly tune like "Sexyback" or the tunes of Flo Rida.

Sneaking in is the next step, Reb.

Lorina said...

Hey Rebbie!
I hope everything is going well. Kick butt in advertising for me will ya? Maybe I will meet your sister at the MTC!

Todd said...

I feel as though she has died...such a beautiful "eugoly" (zoolander)! I vow to try my hardest to not be so "couple-ish" come Bear Lake and I also vow that we will watch big business this summer as well! Can't wait to see you in two weeks!

Logan said...

Aw, those pictures are just how I remember you and Michelle growing up. Can you say Colleen Collins Smith?! I totally relate with you as well, because I feel the exact same way about me and Bree, even down to the opposite body types, same hobbies, favorite movies etc.. Doesn't it suck to not have your older sister (aka best friend) around?

J&B Barrett said...

I just Laughed out loud for 15 min!!! I love her too!