Sunday, 2 November 2008

Perfectionists Anonymous. And other Sundry Things.


So this week was a bit stressful, to say the least. I had to write two 5-page papers in four days. I haven''t written a 5-page paper in the last YEAR! Haha suffice it to say i'm a little rusty. The real problem though is a combination of my PROCRASTINATION coupled with my PERFECTIONISM, which I'm going to blame on my PROVOISM.
I think for 90% of my classes in the last...lifetime I've said, "oh it's no big deal. i'll just get by, it doesn't really matter how i do." And then the realization hits that you have to at least turn something in. So you start working on it and that's when the perfectionism hits. Now you have just as much work to do, just as perfectly, in 1/3 the time. Perfect! Maybe if I was consistently perfectionistical things would work out. But let's face it that isn't going to happen in this lifetime.
Um....so I just read over this and it sounds oddly like an intro to a paper called... 'Perfectionism: Blessing or Curse?' Moral of the story: don't write too many papers in one week or your blog posts, maybe even daily conversations, will start to sound like essays.

On a less intellectual note, here are some highlights of this week:

  • Seeing 'Oedipus the King' at the National Theatre. Ralph Fiennes aka HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED played Oedipus. Creepiest thing I've ever seen. At one moment I started giggling though...guess i'm not mature enough for that kind of theatre.
  • Day trip to Canterbury Cathedral and Chartwell--Winston Churchill's house before he was PM.
  • Saw a Mozart and Bruckner performance at the Royal Festival Hall
  • Day trip to Greenwich, just happened to be HALLOWEEN so of course we dressed for the occasion :)
  • Yes that is me doing splits across the prime meridian. Got some terrified looks from the small crowd of people waiting to take pictures but whatever.
  • BRIENNE AND BRITTNEY CAME TO VISIT! It was so fun to see their lovely familiar faces. Picture to come...
Peter Pan, Wendy, Hook, Rufio, Tigerlily, & Tink!

I looked like a total freak all day. I couldn't help but think of Jerry Seinfeld and dream costumes massacred by warm clothing.

The boy deprivation is becoming unbearable. You can't even all it deprivation, it's STARVATION. It's not like I haven't gone this long without dating someone, it's just COMPLETE separation from the male sex. As for the one guy on the program...I don't even know how to act around him anymore. He's like this weird species that doesn't even register in my mind. The Latino boys in my ward are starting to look mighty fine. mmmmm hmmm. Today on the tube I got the yummiest whiff (sp?) of curve for men. Turned me right on before I realized it was a middle-aged asian man. ahhhhhhh.
I'm exhausted. In a very good way, but nonetheless exhausted. We go all day everyday. I've been trying not to waste one second but i think i just need to relax for a bit. Since I'm leaving for Wales in 6 hours I don't foresee it happening anytime soon...but hey there are worse things--I'm well aware that life as I'm living it is completely unrealistic! I am falling asleep writing this and pretty sure nothing's making sense anymore. In other words, GOODNIGHT.

1 comment:

Brienne said...

I LOVED seeing you and a glimpse of your life! I miss you so much already. I was so tempted to just stay because I loved it there so much and there´s so much to do and best of all you´re there! haha but thank you again for being such an amazing tour guide. p.s. I´ve told you before but I love reading your blog.