Tuesday, 21 October 2008

Ballet + Chocolate = Happiness.

Yesterday we saw Swan Lake at the Royal Opera House. It was so beautiful. There's nothing like the sound of pointe shoes on a stage is there? The principal ballerina was just so...swanlike. I guess that's what happens to your arms when you eat nothing but cigarettes and dance ten hours a day. Anyway, the first pas de deux was completely enchanting, there is no other word for it. I had some hilarious flashbacks though--


For anyone who had the joy and privilege of dancing with Colleen Collins Smith (RUN, RUN DOUBLE NINE!), you know what I mean. Remember doing the pas de quatre ("THE PODDACAT!!!") and feeling so fabulous? It's a dance where there are four of you holding hands in a row, and I'm sure if any of these ballerinas saw our rendition they would have vomited all over us (oh, that's right they vomit all day long). Remember doing straight pas de chats for like 5 counts of 8? Haha most awwwkward thing ever. In my defense, even they couldn't keep up with it. I had some good laughs by myself in the dark remembering the good old days of the Quarternotes.


Before the performance we walked in our heels through the rain to this amazing little chocolate shop called COCOMAYA. Think Chocolat meets Anthropologie--in other words heaven on earth. My favorite was the pomegranate chocolate, (Yes Dad it WAS better than Reeses pieces) and luckily she let us try a bunch of them since they cost 1.50 pounds a piece. Yikes.


Aren't they beautiful? Heather and Annie would have been in heaven.



Just one more thing--church was a lot better this week! I just planned a bunch of songs and activities for primary and it went so much better. One funny moment was this little latino named Dennis singing Get Low in broken Spanglish/British. "Appa botta jees, boots wiffa fuhhh" oh it made me smile. I'll have to take a picture of those kids next week so you can get the full effect.

6 comments:

Cason and Marie said...

hahahah oh the good old days of Colleen Collins Smith! I remember that so well. And our white see through leotards and sick tutus. (spelling?) I'm sure I've told you before and i'll tell you again...I love your blog!

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

Poddacat!!!! Ah hahaha that is awesome! Yeah I remember thinking I was a freaking star while I did my Lunge pata-boo-ray (spelling? haha)and if you had someone slow on the sides of you... they were gonna have to move quick! That is so cool you got to go though, I bet the real thing is amazing!

Sarah Orme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Orme said...

i don't know if you know that i was a member of the colleen collins smith group but i was. I don't think i've every laughed as hard out loud in the library by myself as i just did when i read your entry. Also, congrats on advertising!

Todd, Rose and Emy said...

You are so funny. The way you write is just Rebbie. I saw that ballet while I was there as well and just died. Can you believe that they can be that good? Miss you!

Annie Stewart said...

AHH! Why couldn't we be there together?! I'm SO glad you went to Swan Lake, that was one of my most favorite things I went to. And I remember, when I bought that heavy 40 lb ticket (or was it 50?) thinking, "what a waste". But it wasn't! It really was something to behold.
You're right, I'd love that choco shop. And how funny "appa bottom jees", reminds me of "thag you berry butch"(that's not how it was spelled). Oh drummy.
And one more thing to complete the longest comment ever. Just so you know, I miss you WAY too much. The other day, I don't even remember what we were talking about, but you came into the conversation and Alex just said, "you really miss rebb don't you?". Apparently my countenance is even paying for your absence. I'm so happy you're there. I want to wish you a speedy homecoming (no, not recovery), but I can't do that. I don't want your experience in London to fly by any faster than it naturally does. Love you!